Last month while bracing for Hurricane Sandy, I came upon an early version of my vampire novel Eternal Bond. Not only was I shocked by how old it was, but I was really shocked by how bad it was! Eternal Bond was my starter novel which I abandoned in 2009. What was so wrong with it you ask? Well, everything!
- I used first person, a difficult viewpoint for a rookie to write in.
- There was no clear antagonist or protagonist.
- It was set in the 21st century.
- Too many flashbacks.
I got so lost, I abandoned the project. It wasn’t until last year, that I picked it back up and literally started over. Opening a new Word document I began from scratch and literally changed everything.
- I Used third person.
- Had a few villains and heroes.
- I Placed the story in 16th century Europe.
- I didn’t use hardly any flashbacks.
Here’s what I came up with: The new and improved Eternal Bond Chapter 1
2 thoughts on “How I Turned My Starter Novel Mess Into Success!”